PAN(Permanent Account Number) is an important document and identity proof. PAN is required in making transactions above 50000, filing an income tax return and even in an opening bank account.
The PAN has become an important document for every citizen of India however, PAN card can be made for foreigners and NRIs too. The process of applying for PAN card is different for Indian citizen, Foreigners, and NRIs. A minor applicant can also apply for PAN card but in this case, copy of all documents of parents have to be submitted.
In this article, all steps required for filling PAN card application online is described in detail. Follow the steps below to complete your PAN application form online. Online application of PAN can be made on the NSDL website OR UTIITSL website. In this article, we are using the NSDL website for PAN application. You can choose either of the websites as both are authorized to make PAN cards.
Before applying for PAN card online you should have all the required documents present with you. Keep in mind the documents required for Individual, business, and other categories are different.
Documents Required for Applying for New PAN card for Citizens of India
Proof of Identity for an individual applicant who is an Indian citizen(any one of the following)
- Copy of voter’s identity card
- Ration card with the applicant’s photograph
- Copy of passport
- Copy of driving license
- Arm’s license
- Copy of Aadhar card issued by Unique Identification Authority of India
- Photo identity card issued by the central government or state government or any other public sector undertaking
- Central government health scheme card
- Bank certificate containing an attested photograph of the applicant along with bank account number of the applicant
- Copy of pensioner card having a photograph of the applicant
Address Proof for Applying Pan Card for Indian Citizens
- Copy of electricity bills
- Landline bills copy
- Copy of broadband connection bill
- Bank account statements
- Credit card statement
- Post office passbook featuring address of the applicant
- Voter identity card with photograph
- Driving license
- Domicile certificate issued by government
- Aadhar Card issued by Unique Identification Authority of India
- Allotment letter
- If submitting a copy of one of the first five documents, the documents should not be more than three months old.
Date of Birth Proof for PAN card application for Indian Citizens
- Birth certificate issued by the Municipal Authority or any authorized office
- Pension payment order
- Marriage certificate issued by Registrar of Marriages
- Matriculation certificate
- Driving license; or
- Domicile certificate issued by the central or state government
- An affidavit signed before a magistrate stating the date of birth
Steps to Fill PAN card Application for Individual and Citizens of India
- Under Application type option choose: New PAN – Indian Citizen(form 49A) if your foreigner choose New PAN-Foreign citizen(form 49AA)
- Under Category, section choose Individual(or choose other option appropriate for you)
- Fill other information like first name, last name, date of birth, emailId, mobile number etc.
- Enter the captcha and click on submit button
- You will get guidelines page where all necessary details are mentioned regarding application forms like processing fees and other details. Click next
- Now you will get three options for submitting your PAN application documents
A. Submit digitally through e-KYC and e-sign(Paperless)
B. Submit scanned images through e-sign
C. Forward application documents physically
- If you have AADHAAR card then you should choose for first options as it is paperless process and only needs OTP verification while the second option requires to upload scanned documents and third option required to send documents physically along with application form to the given address
- Fill all the required information such as AADHAAR number, father’s name, mother’s name, etc and click next
- Now, you have to fill your source of income and address. After filling all details click next.
- On this page, you have to fill information regarding AO code. Choose one of the following options.
– Indian Citizens
– NRIs and Foreign Citizens
– Defense Employees
– Government Category
Then select state and city
- Choose AO code from the list appeared below. Carefully scroll and look for the category that applies best to you. There are different categories for companies, non-salaried people, government servants, private sector employees, etc. If you don’t know which category you fall under, contact a chartered accountant to find out. Click on the correct AO code and it’ll be auto-filled in the form above. Click Next.
Select the documents you have submitted as proof of age and residence from the menu, fill in required details, and then click Submit.
- Now you will be redirected to the payment page where you can choose a payment method from various methods. Payment for the individual applicant will be around Rs120
- Once you have paid, you will be asked to authenticate via AADHAAR OTP, or submit documents via e-sign, or to physically send the documents to NSDL. You will also receive an email acknowledgment from NSDL about your application and your PAN card will be couriered to you once the application has been processed. Keep the acknowledgment number safe.